Friday, August 15, 2014

Week 1: Un-Textbook

I chose to outline my readings for the semester.  There were so many good ones to choose from but I tried to mix up the readings based off my interest, things I wanted to read again, and stories I had no knowledge of.

Week 2: This past spring semester I had to read The Golden Ass for one of my classes.  This book was about the egyptian God Isis and also wove in the story of Cupid and Psyche.  I remember the beauty of this almost tragic love story and as a fan of Greek Mythology I would love to read it!

Week 3:  As a Christian I am very interested in biblical readings.  The Gospels are some of my favorite books of the bible so I will choose to read the Gospel of Mark for my reading this week.  I never get tired of reading the Gospels, I learn something new each time.

Week 4: For week 4 I choose Ancient Egypt.  I love to learn about new Gods and Goddess because the Greek ones are the only ones I am familiar with.  I did read about Isis in The Golden Ass and I would like to learn more about the cultures other Gods and Goddess.

Week 5: I have heard of the Arabian Nights but am not very familiar with that reading.  I chose this one because it included full notes with it and I am curious as to why it's such a famous reading.

Week 6: I am planning on going on a medical mission trip this December to Ghana so I chose the West African Folktales.  It mentioned Ghana in the description and I would love to learn a little bit about their culture before I travel there!

Week 7: I chose Lang: African Tales for the same reason I chose African Folktales.  This one also includes all parts of African culture into the ready so I think that will help me to learn about the stories from other parts of Africa as well.

Week 9:  My great-grandmother was Cherokee so I chose Cherokee stories as my reading this week.  My great-grandmother passed away before I was born and my grandpa told me some of the tales, such as the one about the snake-monster when I was a child.  I do not remember a lot of them so I'm looking forward to hearing about them again!

Week 10: I chose the Tejas stories because I was born and raised in East Texas.  I do not know anything about the Tejas Caddoan people but I do want to read about their stories to learn more.

Week 11: Nursery Rhymes were a favorite of mine growing up.  I remember having a book full of them and my mom would read them to me all the time.  I also would read them to my baby dolls!  I chose Nursery Rhymes because I love the reminder of being a kid again.

Week 12: I chose English Fairy Tales because these stories also remind me of my childhood.  I also wanted notes with them so I could learn more in depth about the readings.

Week 13:  I read Dante's Inferno my senior year of High School and was absolutely fascinated with it.  I always told myself I would read that book again on my own time so I could enjoy it more.  I never got the chance but I would love to use this opportunity to read about it again.

Week 14: I chose Margaret's Heptameron because I know nothing about it.  I have never heard of it and I really do not have any knowledge of the Renaissance Era.  I also chose it because who doesn't love a little gossip, especially told by a queen?

No comments:

Post a Comment