Sunday, October 12, 2014

Essay for Week 9: Tejas Legends Review

This week I chose to read the Tejas Legends.  In the description it said that the Tejas Legends were stories retold for children from the Caddoan people of east Texas.  This definitely grabbed my attention because I am from east Texas.  I thought it would be interesting to read about legends that came from the natives of the land that I am also from.  I also really liked the idea that they were legends retold for children.  I am a big fan of children stories and I have not read any children based stories in the previous units.  The legends were all fun to read and I thought that the stories were very creative.  My favorite stories were, “Why the WoodpeckerPecks” and “The Woodpecker’s Stumpy Tail.”  I learned a lot about Woodpecker’s in this unit and I am glad there were a couple of stories over the same animal.  I remember growing up and always listening for the Woodpecker that always pecked the trees in my grandpa’s back yard.  My brother and I would listen very quietly and would see who could find the woodpecker first!  My grandpa would tell us many stories as to why the woodpecker pecked at the trees.  I really enjoyed reminiscing on those memories while reading this unit.  
(Red Bellied Woodpecker: Wikipedia)

My least favorite story was, “Why the Dog’s Ears Flop.”  Dogs are my favorite pets and this story was kind of sad.  I did not like that the Indians beat the dog because the wolves tricked him.  My dog’s ears are pointed when he is alarmed and protecting us.  However, I feel like when his ears are flopped over he is content and happy!  The legend for this story made men seem too superior to animals and I think it would be better if the dog was viewed as man’s best friend rather than the man being a master to the dog!

(My dog content and happy with his favorite toy: Personal Photo)

3 comments:

  1. Those stories sound very interesting. I think I would enjoy reading them since I'm from Texas, as well. Not East Texas, but the Dallas area. Anyway, it sounds like you really enjoyed the readings, which is great! I think I have heard the story about why the dog's ears flop, but it didn't sound familiar when you were describing it. Maybe I heard a different version or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with you on your Tejas Unit analysis. While we did not choose the same stories for our favorite stories, I did still enjoy reading the ones about the woodpecker. I loved how many of the stories included animals and nature! I also would have to say "Why the Dog's Ears Flop" was probably my least favorite as well. Being a dog lover and reading that tragic story was kind of heartbreaking, even if it is 'just a story'. I love the pictures you included, your dog is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the Tejas Unit, but I read the Cherokee one. I think the Cherokee one was a bit confusing because of the lack of notes. However, if you were looking into it, feel free to give it a chance! After reading your post, I am definitely intrigued by this unit. I also like to read children stories so I think this unit would suit me very well!

    ReplyDelete