Monday, October 27, 2014

Essay Week 10: Nursery Rhymes



For this reading unit I chose to read the nurseryrhymes.  I love all types of writing that is for children.  I think that this type of writing is creative and really fun to read.  A lot of the nursery rhymes I had heard before and I was excited to turn a favorite nursery rhyme like, Jack and Jill, or Rock-a-bye-Baby into a story.  However, I ended up choosing one I hadn’t heard before so it would be new to the readers also.  In this unit, I really liked that there were so many different groups of nursery rhymes.  My favorite group to read was the Love and Matrimony group.  These rhymes were not only cute and sweet but funny as well!  A lot of people may think that writing a story over a nursery rhyme would be hard because they are only a few sentences long.  I liked this aspect because it gave me a base to go off of and then I got to fill in all the details of the story with my own ideas!  The nursery rhymes are so versatile and one could come up with so many different ways to tell a story with them.  The one thing that I did not like about choosing this section was that the majority of the rhymes did not have a title or a link.  I wanted to include several into my reading diary but decided not to because I did not have an exact title for the rhyme.  There were also a lot of rhymes included in each section.  They were all very short though, and this made it easy to pick and choose which ones I could write about.  Overall, I would definitely recommend the nursery rhymes for this unit.


No comments:

Post a Comment