Sunday, October 19, 2014

Essay Week 10: First Memories of Reading


I have always loved to read.  I can remember being a first grader and reading my brothers AR books to him because he hated to read.  He was in the fourth grade at the time and had to read chapter books.  I always enjoyed creating my own images of the characters in my mind as I read.  I was a very fast reader and this also helped me to like to read.  I have always been very competitive and being able to read faster than other kids was rewarding for me.  My mom, dad, and (obviously) my brother, did not like reading.  My parents never read me stories before I went to sleep; I was always reading them on my own.  It is funny to look back as a child and reading all of the time because my family did not like to!  However, both of my grandmothers love to read.  My mom’s mother was always reading a book when we went to visit.  Every year for Christmas she would buy me a new Christmas themed novel to read.  She also would have different books out for my brother and I to look at when we came over.  My other grandma was more interested in history and genetics themed books.  She taught me how to use books such as dictionaries, thesauruses, and bibliographies.  Both of my grandma’s have read through the Bible several times!  I always thought they were so educated and wise.  When I was little they inspired me to read and research using all parts of my brain.  I know continue to read all different types of books because it reminds me of my grandmas and the lesson they taught me of the importance of literature.  Reading holds good memories that I will carry with me forever and there is something magical about that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cobi! I already commented on your Introduction so I decided to comment on this. Like you I really like to read but can never seem to find the motivation or time to start up again. My parents never read me to sleep either. They weren’t big book people. Like you I was really the only person in my family who enjoyed reading for fun!

    ReplyDelete