Monday, November 10, 2014

Essay Week 13: Italian Fairy Tales


This week I chose to read the Italian Fairy Tales unit.  The description of the unit is what caught my interest.  I love fairy tales and have enjoyed reading different types of fairy tales in previous units.  This one said that it would include stories that were similar to Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty.  These stories were familiar to me and I thought it would be interesting to see how the Europeans changed these fairy tales.  The stories in this unit were a lot of fun to read and I would definitely recommend them to future readers.  There were only a few stories that had a second page but when I read those I wanted to read the second page to see what happened!  There was always a twisted plot in the stories that left me, as a reader, wanting more.  My favorite story was Zelinda and theMonster.  I thought this was a great fairy tale as a young handsome king is saved but a girl who he ends up marrying.  It was definitely a different take on a love story but I found it sweet and romantic.  I used this story to write my story from and I loved it so much I did not really want to change much of the fairy tale.  A lot of the stories seemed to have a happy ending and a hint of romance through out them.  There are also evil spirits in different forms such as fate, a monster, and a magician.  These aspects were unique to the Italian Fairy Tales and played a seemingly small but major role in the stories.  There were not any stories that I disliked.  There are many fairy tale units in the European section and I am looking forward to reading a different set of fairy tales next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment