Sunday, November 16, 2014

Essay Week 14: Writing Center


I have visited the writing center only once since I’ve been a student at the University of Oklahoma.  I took an Origins of Christianity class and I often did not feel educated enough to do well in that class.  My professor was highly educated and very intelligent.  He spoke well, taught well, and had even written the textbook for our class!  As our first assignment came, I was very nervous.  I wanted to do well on the paper but knew he would be a tough grader because he expected a lot from his students.  I decided it would not hurt to get someone to guide me while writing this paper.  I used walk in hours at the writing center, which is nice because my schedule is often crazy and spontaneous.  There were several tutors in the writing center and many places to sit.  It was crowded but some one was able to meet with me shortly after I had arrived and signed in.  With a rough draft of my paper, a tutor guided me through the process of forming a more in depth paper.  It was a long one so it was very helpful to get someone else to look over it to make sure I stayed on topic and that my writing flowed well.  Overall I was very satisfied with my time at the writing center and was thankful that the University offered this to students.  However, because there were so many students in there, the tutors had to walk around helping others at the same time.  I would like an option to schedule a one on one meeting with a writing tutor instead of sitting there and waiting for the tutor that was helping me to come back.  The tutors did a good job though and with all the distractions, my tutor was still able to help me and answer my questions.  The tutor also gave me different ideas to write about and different views on the way I worded certain things.


1 comment:

  1. I've never been to the writing center so I had no idea how it worked. It's too bad they're spread so thin. I always imagined it to be a 1-on-1 kind of thing. Good to know! I never used the writing center because I'm too anxious about showing people my work. I think this class has helped me loosen up when it comes to that!

    ReplyDelete