Thursday, September 4, 2014

Essay for Week 3: The Gospel of Mark



I thoroughly enjoyed this week’s biblical unit.  I chose to read the Gospel of Mark even though I have read it several times before.  I think there are many different ways you can read a story.  Previously, I have read the Gospel of Mark to study it, for enjoyment, and to meditate on it.  This time I got to read it with a more creative approach in order to write my own story based upon the Gospel. 
There are a few stories in the Gospel of Mark that are some of my favorite stories in the whole Bible.  The story of Jesus feeding the five thousand and when he walks on water are back to back in chapter six of the Gospel of Mark.  These two stories continue to amaze me every time I read them.  I, like the disciples, would be nervous about having to feed that many people even if I did have a lot of food.  However, Jesus remains calm and trusts in His Father to provide and God does! The story of Jesus walking on the water is much more than the surface meaning.  The disciples were still in disbelief over the bread and fish that Jesus sent them away.  As they struggle against the wind while on their boat, Jesus goes and prays.  He then walks out onto the water and tells them to not be afraid.  When they believe him, the wind and the water become calm.  This can definitely be applied to our daily lives.  When things get scary, tough, or confusing we can build our trust in God and he will calm the seas.
This story was from a King James Version of the Bible.  I am used to reading from the New International Version.  I read the story from both versions so I could compare and get a different view on the story.  I personally still found the New International Version to be easier to follow and understand.  Providing different versions of the biblical stories could be very helpful to those who are not familiar with the bible or those who would like to learn more about how different versions tell the stories.
When I finished the reading for this unit, I was satisfied.  I knew the story but it was one I wanted to read again and it was easy for me to read it.  I did forget the important part that I would have to write my story over it though.  This was challenging because I could not wrap my thoughts around rewriting a book out of the Bible!  I used the writing style tips to help me brainstorm ideas on how I could write my own story.  I chose a diary style of writing and once I got started it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  I really had fun with the storytelling on this reading topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment