Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Essay Week 5: Twenty Two Goblins


This week I chose to read the Twenty-Two Goblins for the unit.  This reading was very different than all of the previous readings I have done.  I liked that these were several stories being told within a story.  Every time the Goblin ran from the king I was filled with anxiousness for the king to catch him.  I also looked forward to the next story that the Goblin was going to tell the king.  

My favorite story was The GeneralsWife.  This was my favorite story told by the Goblin because it had a sweet but tragic ending. In this story a General was told many terrible things about this beautiful woman named Passion.  Little did he know, she was full of beauty and made people fall in love with her everywhere she went.  Before meeting her, he decided he did not want to marry Passion.  She was then wed to a different man who happened to be a slave of the General.  One day the General accidentally saw Passion and fell madly in love with her.  He knew she was now married and fell into a deep depression knowing he had once turned her down.  The slave of the general found out about how depressed the general was and offered his wife to him!  The general turned down the offer knowing that was not the right thing to do but then he committed suicide.  It's such a love filled story with both romance love and the love of a friendship.  I was glad the General knew it was not noble of him to take the mans wife but I wish the story had ended up with the General meeting someone knew or at staying alive!  

From this unit I learned more about telling stories within a story.  I do not think I am ready to try that particular writing style yet but it definitely helped me get a better grasp on how to do that smoothly.  I also enjoyed that each story the Goblin told had questions with it.  It was neat to see how the character viewed each story compared to my opinions of the stories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment