Sunday, September 28, 2014

Essay for Week 7: West African Folktales


This week I read, West African Folktales.  I really enjoyed the stories of Anansi, the trickster spider.  In a lot of the stories Anansi would trick other humans or animals in order to get what he wanted.  However, in some of the stories, Anansi became very selfish.  I thought it was neat that the author of these tales used that selfish characteristic to teach Anansi a lesson.  Even though Anansi was known for tricking people, his selfishness often caused him to be tricked.  My favorite story in the reading was Thunder and Anansi.  Anansi happened to find a magical pot that would supply him endless food.  His selfish character caused him to hide the pot from his family who was starving.  When they found out, they tried to show him a lesson, which made the pot melt away.  Anansi then tried to trick the man who gave him the pot into giving him something new.  Instead of being tricked, the man tricked Anansi.  I am glad that Anansi was tricked because it gave him an opportunity to learn from his selfishness.  My least favorite story was, The Moon and theStars.  This story was very hard for me to follow.  It contained a lot of different characters and did not flow very well in my opinion.  It began with Anansi and his son killing a deer.  Then a fire-breathing dragon came into the story and captured them.  They escaped by building a ladder made of bones and then climbed to the Heavens and then became the sun, moon, and stars.  When thinking of stories I do not put together these elements that were used.  However, it is an interesting take on how the sun, moon, and stars appeared.  I think this unit would be a great unit for other readers to choose.  It consisted of many different aspects and characters that provided me more knowledge with stories about animals, tricksters, and humans.  The notes on the unit are also very helpful and I think the background is interesting because the stories come from Ghana, which has several different ethnic groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment